Friday 22 November 2013

Evaluation of Music Video Shoot


On the 14th of November we had our music video shoot for our Media Studies coursework. We had filmed the entire day starting from 9:00 to 6:00.
            The day before the shoot we had to set up in the studio for our first scene in order to save time in the actual shoot day. To set up, we needed chairs, tables, a television, refrigerator, phone, and etc… to create a living room of a house. To make it more realistic we had gathered up a lot of different posters to sell the idea of it being a standard day to day living room rather than just a set. I had stayed after school to help set up because we had not enough time for us to finish during school time, so I stayed until almost everything was set for the morning.

            When the morning arrived I had been very keen for that day that I had been the first one to be in the studio to make the final changes to set. We had still needed to set up the drum set and put the final props in the studio including the VHS kassets and the beer bottles. One problem that we faced was that we did not have a normal pizza menu which was vital to our shoot, we before thought of using a real pizza menu from a pizza company but it might not work that well. So for the next half an hour I had created our own crystal moon pizza menu that work really well in our shoot that had been my first job during the day.



            As the day progressed I started to appreciate more and more our set that we had created, the simplicity to room made it more believable to be a regular living room of a house. We had everything that is needed for a living room, the sofa, TV, fridge, posters, phone, beer, tables and etc… It feels like our vision of our concept in the development stages of the music video had held up and it is what we had expected to be. Here on the bottom I had created a little diagram of how our set looked like:

            In the beginning of the day I had been setting up for the music video by doing some heavy lifting. In order to finish our set all we needed was a pizza menu of a delivery service which I had made. Finally when we started out filming I had mostly focused on taking pictures of the music video and to keep track of the continuity. I then afterwards moved on to camera work and to figure out what kind of shots we had needed. I had mostly been hands on with the camera, I had also done focus pulling on the camera as well as operating the dolly track for the shoot.



I think the overall music video went well, the rest of my group contributed to their specific jobs while I contributed to mine. The only thing that I wish could go better was the actual sweeded scenes, it had felt like we had spent all of our time doing the story and the performance of the band but we had not enough time to film the actual 4 sweeded scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment